This page includes resources from my presentation: “9 1/2 ways to ignite adventure in your life“. You’ll find web links, books and advice to help you: explore our world, discover your neighborhood, travel more and have more fun when traveling!
I’d love to hear what adventures you have, so send an e-mail and contact me!
1. create an adventure list – need some suggestions? Remember: Write it Down, Make it Active, Plan it, Do it
- my adventure list
- 100 Things to Experience Before You Die
- 1,000 Places to See Before You Die (the website for the book by Patricia Schultz)
- 24 Ways to Improve Your LIfe in 24 hours Not travel-related per se, but great nonetheless
- From A Dangerous Business, here’s another great list.
- The 50 Most Important Landmarks in the World
2. what’s the 1 thing? Going somewhere for a quick trip? Stuck somewhere with some time to kill? Find the 1 thing…
- visit the homepage of the tourism bureau for the city you’re visiting. They may also have a facebook and twitter account too!
- Lonely Planet Guidebooks are comprehensive, well-written and a great value
- Ask the front desk person, taxi driver, restaurant server, flight attendant, etc.
3. eliminate “buts”
- Stop making excuses. Simply put, if you find yourself saying, “but”, you’re making an excuse. Eliminate “buts”. Otherwise, you’re keeping yourself from going anywhere. For every “but”, there’s a solution. Find it.
4. start in your backyard
The following websites offer great information on what’s happening in Orlando.
5. end in your neighbor’s yard
Take a road trip. Here’s some go to resources.
- Roadside America – Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions
- Weird Florida: Your Travel Guide to Florida’s Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
6. do something child-like
- celebrate International Pillow Fight Day
- fly a kite at the beach
- climb a tree and read a book
- go to a carnival and eat all the bad foods
- get lost in a corn maze
- roll around in a hamster ball
- challenge your friends at laser tag
- bounce on a trampoline
- roller skate to your favorite tunes
- spend a rainy day surfing indoors
7. return to your childhood
- where did your family go on vacation?
- visit your alma mater
- hometown parades
- have a retro game night
8. get a guaranteed date
- join a sports league
- find a hobby
- take a class
9. be risky
- enter a contest
- try an “extreme” activity (skydiving, bungee jumping)
- start a business
9 1/2. add lots of cherries – make your adventure one to remember!
- fulfill one of your dreams on your adventure list
- do one of those expensive excursions you always wanted to to, but never could afford
- celebrate with friends
- add an overnight to your trip
- treat yourself to a good meal