Red Envelope Gadget Charger for the Car: Travel Gear Review
My cell phone has become my de facto camera for everything travel. I rarely use my point and shoot and DSLR cameras anymore. And when you combine that usage with twitter, facebook pinterest, email and Jurassic Park (my guilty pleasure), my cell phone battery drains pretty quickly. When it hits 30% I start to get nervous! All of this to say, I’m always in need of a charger of some sort.
Enter the Red Envelope Gadget Charger for the Car*.
The Red Envelope Car Charger ($49.99) is a coffee cup-sized charger with one USB and two AC outlets on it. It plugs into your car cigarette lighter and chargers your technology while you are driving.
- Lots of Plugs – The charger has three outlets. That’s plenty of space for your phone, laptop, iPad or a friend’s phone. I really loved having the option of having more than one outlet. It’s beneficial if you have friends riding along with you (as long as you bring the additional power cords).
- Does as Promised – The most critical question is, does the charger charge. And the answer is yes. I charged both my iphone and laptop computer simultaneously. The phone received the same amount of charge as it would if I charged it standing alone during my commute to work. My laptop battery also saw a usable increase of about 10%ish (I have a short commute).
- Convenient Design - The design of the charger is quite clever. It’s shaped like a coffee mug and fits in your coffee cup holder in your car. It’s perfect.
- Size - One of it’s benefits is also it’s downfall. The charger does run on the bulky side. It’s about as large as a large coffee, which means it’s a bit big and heavy. This isn’t a device that you’ll want to put in your suitcase and bring with you on your next trip. But for local car rides, or if you’re taking an RV Trip (say to Alaska), it might be worth including it in your packing list.
- Sound – When charging your phone, you’ll be fine. But I found that when I simultaneously charged my laptop, the device fan made a slight hum. It’s not extremely loud, but it is noticeable. This of course, is due to the increase in power needed to charge the laptop battery. It’s a minor inconvenience.
It takes up a lot of space. But… if you’re traveling by car from home this is a perfect traveling companion for your next road trip or daily commute. I love it’s versatility, design and efficacy in what it intends to do.
I’ll see you out there…!
*red envelope provided me with a complimentary car charger for this review.